Combining skilled professionals and advanced technologies with a multidisciplinary approach, APTIM provides environmental protection and remediation services for government and commercial clients around the world. Services include:
- Remediation and restoration of contaminated sites
- Integrated solid and hazardous waste management and services
- Air quality measurement and monitoring
- Industrial hygiene and safety services
- Emergency response and disaster recovery
- Sustainability and energy efficiency solutions
We are one of the largest providers of integrated solid waste services in the U.S., offering unique services such as landfill gas energy recovery and high-density polyethylene product supply.
Decontamination & Decommissioning
APTIM safely decontaminate and decommission highly toxic wastes and mixed wastes and other regulated substances, including asbestos, PCBs, dioxins, furans, nitroglycerine, tetraethyl led, radioactive materials and biological agents (anthrax).
We have extensive technical knowledge and experience in decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) for nuclear power plants and other radiologically-contaminated facilities. From project planning to assessment to final waste disposition, our team provides comprehensive services for government and commercial clients which meet regulatory standards.
- Equipment and system removal
- Structural dismantlement and demolition
- Cost-beneficial waste stream segregation
- Waste minimization, volume reduction and packaging
- Transportation and disposal of explosive, radioactive, hazardous and mixed wastes
- Pumping and cleaning
- Dismantling and demolition
- Asbestos and lead coating removal
- Equipment and material salvage
Environmental Remediation and Site Restoration
From excavation and off-site disposal to remedial system design, operation and maintenance, APTIM provides effective, low-cost solutions to remediation projects in full compliance with regulatory requirements.
Remediation and solid waste services include:
- Excavation, handling and disposal of contaminated soil
- In-place soil cap and geosynthetic liner installation
- Stabilization and solidification of contaminated soils (in-situ and ex-situ)
- Erosion and sediment controls
- Storm water controls
- Site clearing and preparation
- Site restoration
- Underground utility installation
- Barrier/cutoff walls
- Mechanical and hydraulic dredging
- Material handling, processing and preparation for disposal
- Cap in place (aqueous capping)
- Landfill closure/capping
- New landfill construction
- Landfill gas collection system installation
- Gas collection well drilling
- Wetland banks – construction, operations and maintenance
- Stream remediation and restoration
APTIM is experienced in every phase of solid waste facility planning, design, permitting, construction, operations and maintenance and closure care. Out team successfully assists clients with the wide array of issues often associated with solid waste management projects.
Consulting & Engineering
- Design/engineering (landfills, transfer stations)
- Design/build LFG systems
LFG Equipment Fabrication
- Flare systems
- Landfill gas-to-energy (LFGTE) compressor packages
- Landfill leachate evaporators
Operation & Maintenance Field Services
- Monitoring and sampling
- Field operations and maintenance
- Repair/small construction
- Wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) operation and maintenance
- Groundwater extraction and treatment facilities
- Plant operations support
- Contract landfill gas-to-energy (LFGTE) plant operations and maintenance
Our National Air Measurement Group (NAMG) provides stack testing, air monitoring, leak testing, permits/auditing and new technologies to help regulated industries meet federal and state air quality compliance requirements. We provide expertise from mechanical, chemical, civil and environmental engineers for a wide range of global industries, including coal-fired utilities, iron and steel plants, petroleum processing facilities (wells and refineries) and chemical and pharmaceutical plants.
Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR): With more than two decades of experience, APTIM provides comprehensive services related to leak detection and repair. Our experience includes setting up LDAR programs for chemical and pharmaceutical plants, natural gas processing plants, petroleum refineries and other industries. We customize programs to satisfy client needs and budget and offer a wide variety of services, including development and implementation of turnkey LDAR programs, emissions calculations and reporting and full LDAR compliance/efficiency evaluations.
Ambient and Meteorological Monitoring Services: We have expertise in developing and operating monitoring programs to measure air toxins and fugitive emissions, specialized monitoring for non-criteria pollutants and monitoring for prevention of significant deterioration purposes. Our staff has designed more than 800 air monitoring stations and provided operational support for more than 400 monitoring stations.
Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems (CEMS): We offer comprehensive continuous emissions monitoring systems (CEMS) and solutions designed to meet client needs. Each system can include engineering, design, integration, installation, startup support, initial calibration and certification testing, upgrades, repairs, replacements, customized reporting and emergency response.
CEMS applications include monitoring of NOx, SO2, CO, CO2, O2, Hg, TRS, VOC, NMOC, NH3, HCL, moisture, opacity, volumetric flow and particulate mass flow. COM maintenance and calibration includes TRI, USI, Durag, Monitor Labs, Lear Siegler and API monitors.
Stack Testing Services: APTIM engineers, scientists and technicians have offered comprehensive emissions testing, analysis and reporting services to clients since 1971. Stack testing services include experienced personnel, industry-recognized testing equipment and dual-system mobile laboratories to ensure compliance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state and local air quality requirements.
Testing can be performed on furnaces, boilers, incinerators, SCRs, turbines, flares/thermo oxidizers, cat crackers, tail gas incinerators, wet gas scrubbers, fuel gas systems and process vents.
Integrated Emissions Solutions (IES): We employ existing technologies and develop new technologies to provide clients with cost-effective solutions for meeting air, water and soil compliance requirements. Our integrated approach includes:
- Drawing on expertise from a strategic mix of qualified personnel
- Using proven, EPA-recognized methods and technologies
- Performing testing and analysis of proposed methods in both bench-scale and full-scale field trials under a wide range of process conditions
Air Quality Control
APTIM installs state-of-the-art emissions control technologies to benefit more than 60,000 MW of power generation. We maintain an industry-leading position by staying at the forefront of innovation and offering cost-effective retrofits while meeting challenging schedules and site conditions. Our experience and capabilities includes:
- SO2 reduction systems, including wet and dry flue gas desulfurization (FGD) technologies and sorbent injection solutions
- NOx reduction systems, including selective catalytic reduction (SCR), non-selective catalytic reduction (NSCR), low NOx burners and other types of NOx control technologies
- Mercury (Hg) control systems
- Particulate matter systems, including electrostatic precipitators (ESPs) and pulse jet fabric filter systems
We provide environmental services to protect and restore natural resources, offering a broad range of services for natural resource planning, protection and restoration. These services are supported by professionals in engineering, ecology, biology, botany, wetland/ soil science and hydrology.
Our natural resource capabilities include:
- Wetland ecosystems assessment and restoration
- Wetland banking design, permitting and construction
- Watershed management plans and assessments
- Water quality and aquatic toxicity
- Sediment dredging and management
- Coral reef studies—investigation, damage characterization, monitoring, transplanting
- Marine, estuarine and freshwater fisheries biology
- Terrestrial biology, including avian resources
- Threatened and endangered species inventories
- Regulatory permitting
- Ecological risk assessments
- National Environmental Policy Act studies
- Natural Resources Damage Assessment studies
Site Assessments and Characterization
APTIM is unique in its ability to offer unparalleled expertise for performing environmental site assessments (ESAs), permitting and planning, coupled with capability to execute plans while minimizing potential client regulatory concerns and returning land to productive use.
As a first step in understanding any risks a site might pose, we analyze groundwater, soil and surface water to determine the existence of contaminants and the extent of impact. Our fundamental objectives are to:
- Fully characterize the vertical and lateral extent of soil and groundwater contamination
- Identify potential remedial action alternatives
- Evaluate the feasibility of implementing these alternatives
- Select the most appropriate cleanup method.
As necessary, surface water and groundwater hydrologist modelers develop technically sound model applications that can withstand scrutiny of regulatory agencies and independent third party technical reviewers, and are legally defensible. The end products of our modeling efforts provide reliable decision-making tools for our clients.
Due Diligence Services: APTIM supports clients involved in commercial and industrial real estate transactions with independent, professional consulting regarding recognized environmental conditions associated with properties. Our services allow clients to make informed decisions and take appropriate action and are performed in accordance with current accepted professional practices and standards. We provide historical research to identify prior owners, hidden liabilities, land-use histories and insurance claim opportunities.
- Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (in accordance with ASTM E1527-13/All Appropriate Inquiry)
- Hazardous building material assessments
- Asbestos, molds and radon surveys
- Property Condition Assessments in accordance with ASTM 2018
- National Environmental Policy Act assessments
- Sensitive Receptor Surveys
Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene
APTIM offers complete industrial hygiene audits, air monitoring/sampling and recommendations for engineering and administrative controls. We perform occupational safety and industrial hygiene services in the following categories:
- Health and safety program development, training and implementation
- Personnel/employee exposure monitoring
- Microbial assessment and remediation
- Noise surveys
- Indoor environmental/air quality (IAQ) testing
- Health and safety management systems, including Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series [OHSAS] 18001 and OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Programs [VPP]
- Ventilation studies, assessments
- Regulatory and employee relations support
- Employee exposure/noise/monitoring surveys
Permitting and Regulatory Compliance
APTIM has significant experience in multimedia environmental permitting with a variety of industries, commercial businesses and governmental agencies. We assist with air quality pre-construction/modification permitting (i.e., New Source Review) as well as Title V operating permit applications. We are experienced in preparing National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit applications for industrial wastewater point source discharge and construction and industrial storm water permit applications.
We provide national support for multiple locations. Our extensive state and federal permitting knowledge and experience assist clients during draft permit reviews and negotiations with state and federal agency representatives to ensure accurate and appropriate permit coverage.
We offer a comprehensive range of environmental compliance services, including:
- Air quality permitting and compliance management
- Compliance auditing services, including design, implementation, assessment and support
- Hazardous waste permitting, storage and management
- Hazardous material storage, inventory, reporting and management (SARA 311, 312 and 313 reporting)
- Pollution prevention planning
- Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plan development, certification and management
- Storm water permitting, plan development, inspections and reporting
- Training services, including one-on-one, classroom, web-based and train-the-trainer
- Wastewater permitting, sampling and reporting
We design, create and deliver programs and materials that are consistent and provide a systematic approach for clients, such as standardized SPCC plans, Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans [SWPPP] and Tier I reports. We help clients meet environmental regulatory requirements and minimize environmental risk and liability from their operations.